Sedation dentistry is a term used to describe the utilization of medication on a patient during a dental procedure. This medication is used to help you enter a highly relaxed state during treatment, providing a more positive dental care experience. You should feel safe and comfortable throughout your procedure and sedation dentistry can help achieve that.
The sedatives used in sedation dentistry:
- Generally have no lingering aftereffects
- Are used in conjunction with local anesthetics to ensure your total comfort
- Are a safe and effective way to ensure you can relax during treatment
- Are administered by trained and certified professionals
There are several excellent benefits to selecting sedation dentistry for use in your procedure. Some of these include:
- Sedation dentistry provides a gentle, soothing experience that can help you overcome dental anxiety or dental phobia.
- Sedation allows your body to relax more completely, increasing the effectiveness of local anesthesia.
- Sedation reduces the sensation of passing time, which can be very useful if you need a complex procedure or multiple procedures done in a single sitting.
- Sedation’s relaxing effects also prevent your muscles from stiffening or becoming sore due to spending extended periods of time in one position.
There are several reasons why many of our patients choose sedation dentistry. The most common reasons include:
- Dental Anxiety or Dental Phobia
- Fear of needles, commonly used in local anesthetics and IV sedation
- Low pain tolerance
- Sensitive teeth or gums
- Problematic gag reflex
- Difficulty getting or staying numb
- Time constraints requiring multiple or complex procedures to be completed within fewer sittings
Our Lake Nona dental team ensures the best fit for each patient by offering two different types of sedation dentistry: Nitrous Oxide and Oral Conscious Sedation. Whichever you use, your sedation will be closely monitored by expertly trained and experienced dental professionals to ensure your safety and comfort at all times.
Nitrous Oxide, also commonly known as laughing gas, is the mildest form of dental sedation. Once inhaled, it induces a state of mild relaxation and reduces sensitivity to pain. Nitrous Oxide is safe for virtually every patient, regardless of age. Following the procedure, oxygen will be used to neutralize the effects of nitrous oxide. Once this is complete, you will be fully alert and able to drive yourself home, if desired. Nitrous Oxide isn’t available for procedures that will be utilizing our laser.
Oral Conscious Sedation, or OCS, provides a stronger level of sedation than Nitrous Oxide. Many patients prefer to use OCS for the deeper relaxation it provides. Though you are still able to stand, walk, or answer questions, you remain in a calm and drowsy state throughout the procedure. With OCS, many patients have found they have little memory of the procedure after the fact. For patients with dental anxiety, this can be a great benefit.
Contact Lake Nona Dental Implants and Periodontics for more information.